Constipation is a common and uncomfortable gastrointestinal condition, usually caused by improper diet, insufficient liquid intake, stress, medications and sedentary lifestyle. Constipation usually occurs when there are some problems with metabolism. If constipation is not treated properly these toxins can flow in other organs of our body and they can lead to serious diseases.
For occasional short-term constipation, there are some common-sense home remedies for constipation, you can try to help correct your intestinal slowdown and get back to normal.
1. Water - Drink 12 glasses of water a day. Quite often the main reason people suffer constipation is lack of water in the body. Drink more!
2. Exercise - Jog in place, do some jumping jacks, get up and move. Exercise gets your insides moving too!
3. Flax seed - Just a couple spoons full should do the trick. Taken daily this can keep you regular.
4. Increase your intake of fiber-rich foods, especially prunes, figs, raisins, oatmeal, pears and nuts. This remedy is the gold standard for avoiding and curing constipation.
5. Eat your fruits and vegetables-Eat at least five servings of fruits and vegetables every day. Select a variety, including sweet potatoes, apples, berries, apricots, peaches, pears, oranges, prunes, corn, peas, carrots, tomatoes, spinach, broccoli and cauliflower.
6. Eat a handful of raisins in a day to get rid of constipation.
7. Bananas-These may relieve constipation. Try eating two ripe bananas between meals. Avoid green bananas, because they'll actually make your problem worse.
Read on for the recipe which is one of the helpful home remedies for constipation -
Papaya Ginger Mint Smoothie: This recipe is good for your gut - Papaya helps to de-bloat and relieves constipation, Yogurt offers healthy pro-biotics for your system, and ginger and mint help calm any stomach upsets. It even has a splash of lemon juice to help flush out toxins.
1 papaya peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks 1/2 cup ice cubes 1/2 cup low fat yogurt 1/2 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger 1/2 tablespoon honey Juice of 1/2 lemon 4 fresh mint leaves
1. Refrigerate papaya until very cold.
2. Blend papaya, ice, yogurt, ginger, honey, and lemon juice in a blender. Add water, one tablespoon at a time, until mixture is smooth and thinned to desired consistency. Blend in mint leaves.
3. Garnish with mint leaves and serve.
Always Remember- It's not a good idea to use laxatives as the first line of attack when you're constipated. They can become habit-forming to the point that they damage your colon to the lining of the intestine. So, initially always try to inculcate home remedies for constipation rather than medications.