Everyone is waiting for monsoon season after exhaustion from extreme heat of summer. Ayurveda is our ancient science, which teaches us how to live healthy life throughout the year. It has so many concepts like Dincharya (Daily Routine), Ritucharya (Seasonal Diet and Lifestyle), and diet according to nature of a person ora patient, Medication, Panchkarma Therapies.So there are some tips for Monsoon season.
According to Ayurveda its Varsha Ritu.‘Varsha Ritucharya should be followed to avoid imbalances in the body during the monsoon. During this season, aggravation of Vata and Pitta Doshas considered as the root cause of various diseases. Fermentation occurs in all the things due to humidity.In Monsoon immunity drops and digestion become very weak due to cloudy atmosphere. Mosquito bite related disease like Malaria, Dengue, Water related disease like Diarrhoea, Vomiting, Typhoid, Jaundice,Cholera, skin disease, asthma, allergies, bronchitis, cold, cough, earache, fungal infections are very common, thus proper care should be taken to prevent possible illness.
Diet and Lifestyle tips for Monsoon
- According to Ayurveda ‘Agni’ (digestive fire) is weak in monsoon. Sweet, sour and salty tastes are preferable.
- Edible oil like Til oil, Mustard oil, Castor oil and Cow Ghee are good for health, because they act as'Vata Dosha Shamak'.
- Light, fresh, hot or warm diet should be taken.
- Moong dal, Massor dal, Udad dal (black gram), Rice and wheat are advisable.
- Moong dal (green gram) cook with Ginger, Garlic, butter milk and cow ghee is very good for digestion.
- Herbs and Spices like Ginger, Soonth (dry ginger powder), cumin seeds, and black pepper are highly recommended.
- Medicated porridge, like Rice Soup, Moong Dal Soup, Drumstick Soup Is recommended, it also effective for joint pain.
- Buttermilk with Cumin seeds powder and Sindhav (rock salt) is also good for digestion.
- Vegetables like Pumpkin, Drumstick, Brinjal, Turia, Galka (Guard), Lemon. Fruits like Apple, Sweet Lime, and Pomegranate are good.
- Drink warm water or boiled water with Dry ginger powder.
- Foods to avoid - Spicy, uncooked food, fermented and stale food, Junk food, cold drinks, ice creams, cold water, food directly from refrigerator, Mango or Mango juice.
- Drink warm water.
- Avoid going outside in heavy rain.
- Change wet clothes immediately and dry yourself.
- Wear comfortable cotton clothes to prevent skin diseases.
- Massage your body with Til oil, Mustard oil. oil should be warm because oil is very effective to balance Vat Dosha.
- Use mosquito net to prevent mosquito bite and Disease like malaria and dengue.
- Cover your body properly to prevent it from cold, mosquito bite, germs.
- Use umbrella, raincoat, gum boots.
- Avoid daytime sleep
- Keep your surroundings neat and clean.
- There should be no water logging nearby your home or your work place.
HOME REMEDIES FOR MONSOON RELATED DISEASES:
- Take Ginger, Turmeric, Tulsi, Black Pepper, Pudina Leaves, Rock salt and make Kwath (Decoction)take half cup everyday it helps to prevent cough, cold and fever.
- Dry Ginger Powder, Black Pepper, Ajwain, Rock Salt, Black Salt and make the decoction for indigestion.
- Lemon juice with Ajwain powder, Black Salt for appetizer. It is also relieve gastric pain.
- Ginger pieces with Rock Salt are advisable with meal or before meal is good appetizer.
- Garlic is best pain reliever. Small piece of garlic rap in a cotton cloth and keep it in ear, it gives good result in ear pain and cold.
- Roast Ajwain seeds in a pan and inhale for sinusitis, headache due to cold and bronchitis.
- Turmeric is good for infection but take it with Cow Ghee And Rock Salt because in monsoon we can find dry coughing.
- For joint pain, take one tablespoon dry ginger powder- boil in one glass of water till it rest one fourth of water and add one tablespoons castor oil drink it empty stomach.
- Massage your hair with warm oil. Dry your hair immediately when it wet in rain. Use Amla powder, Aloevera, Honey, Methi powder and make paste. Apply on scalp and wash hair after 20 minutes with Amla and Shikkakai water.
- For better skin, don’t use soap. Make a paste of Masoor flour + Rose petals powder + pinch ofTurmeric + Milk, apply on skin and take a bath with warm water.
- Some Ayurvedic medicines are very effective like Sitopaladi powder for cold cough, SudarshanGhanvati, Shanshamani Vati for fever. Hingvashtak powder for gastric upset and indigestion.
- Ayurvedic Panchkarma treatments have excellent results. Panchkarma treatment like Abhyang (Massage therapy), Swedan (Steam therapy), Basti treatment, Janu basti, Kati basti for joint pain like Knee joint pain, bodyache, backache.
For better result you can consult an Ayurvedic Doctor, because doctor is the best judge to differentiate Prakriti, digestion power and disease of an individual person.