Your feet must last a lifetime!
Regular foot care can make sure your feet are up to the task. With proper detection, intervention, and care, most foot and ankle problems can be lessened or prevented. Foot problems can have a negative impact on many aspects of health and well being, particularly if they compromise mobility and ability to undertake activities of daily living. Here are a few tips on how you can keep the “Foundation of your body” healthy during various seasons and activities:
- Holidays: We may be doing lots of walking, dancing, standing & sitting but no one wants sore& tired feet during the holiday season. Moisturising, exercising, massaging, getting a pedicure is really important.
- Summer Care: Avoid walking bare feet & remember to apply sunscreen all over the feet is very important. Keeping yourselves well hydrated & always remember to carry some bandages, nail clippers, aloe vera cream & pumice stone.
- Winter Care: Never ski or snowboard in footwear other than ski boots specifically designed for that purpose. Make sure your boots fit properly; you should be able to wiggle your toes, but the boots should immobilize the heel, instep, and ball of your foot. Boots are must-have footwear in winter climates. Damp, sweaty feet can chill more easily and are more prone to bacterial infections. To keep feet clean and dry, consider using foot powder inside socks and incorporating extra foot baths into your foot care regimen this winter. Exposing feet to extreme temperatures means risking frostbite and injury.
- Older People: Shoes should be comfortable & supportive. If there are specific health challenges or foot issues, talk to a podiatrist about the best footwear for your needs. If your podiatrist has prescribed orthotics — biomechanical inserts that go into your shoes—take them with you when you shop and try them out in the shoes you're considering.
- Avoid flip flops.
- If one foot is larger than the other, then always go for the larger foot size.
- Running Shoes: Running can be enhanced by wearing correct running shoes. Improper shoes can lead to injury &impedes the performance.
Taking good care of feet at all times is imperative for everyone so that they last us a lifetime!
If foot problems persist, it is advisable to visit a podiatrist.