Hyperacidity is a symptom or disease?
Hyperacidity is when body secretes more bile into stomach than required quantity and creates a condition called hyperacidity. Limited bile is important to ease digestion but excessive bile causes burning pain in epigastric area near center of chest and that's when it can be concluded that its hyperacidity. In later stages, it creates symptoms like ulcerative colitis and other diseases associated with it. As per Ayurveda Acharya Yogaratnakar, hyperacidity is included in the list of diseases. About 80% of Indian population are affected by it. Modern science given name as Reflux disease (GERD).
As per Ayurveda “pitta prakriti” people face this issue frequently in their life span. If they maintain proper timing of food & follow diet regime, then these complaints will reduce significantly.
Symptoms that can be seen
- Burning pain in epigastric, throat, heart
- Nausea or vomiting
- Excessive Burping
- Frequent Indigestion & bloating
- Sometimes loose motions
- Lack of hunger
- No taste or metallic taste on tongue
- Fried Foods
- Spicy foods
- Skipping breakfast & irregular timings
- Stress & anxiety
- Citrus foods
- Processed foods
- Medication for other diseases like pain killers etc.
- Few typical food that creates discomfort try to observe such food items & avoid them.
Acid reflux could be caused by other factors too
- Eating right before bed
- Overeating - as per Ayurveda ¼ part of stomach should be empty to ease digestion
- Chronic stress affects the nerves in your stomach
- Bad bacteria or yeast growing in your stomachAyurveda recommends detoxification once in a year. In such conditions VIRECHANA therapy is recommended in most of the cases.
“What is the root cause of the problem, and how do we correct it?”
It’s more important to get to the root cause of hyperacidity, because it is a lifestyle disease. If we found root cause or the reason it’s easy to treat for longer span; as all we know “prevention is always better for cure”.
Fix the timing of 3 meals per day. Breakfast must be healthy as well heavy & dinner should be 1/3 of breakfast i.e. light.
- Homemade ghee is best to reduce pitta from body as well helps in digestion. Note: homemade pure ghee doesn’t increases cholesterol, it actually helps in several body activities.
- 25 gm of Raisins at bed time - eat them directly or you can soak in water for minimum 5 hours before eating. This reduces pitta & excessive heat as well helps to improve hemoglobin & vitamins.
- Reduce stress & anxiety
- Fix the timings of sleeping and waking up
- Keep Min 1hr gap in-between dinner and sleep.