Drumstick which is generally used in sambhar is full of nutrients not only its fruit but leaves, flowers, seed are also of great use. Its leaves have more vitamin A then Carrot, more calcium than milk, more iron than spinach, and more potassium than banana so it is logical to use it in diet either fresh or dried. It is a must-have plant for your garden.
Ayurvedic properties of drumstick
- It is katu, tikta in taste
- Laghu (light to digest)
- Roksha (dry), teekshna (piercing)
- Katu vipaka
- Hot in potency
- Balance vata and kapha dosh in body
Fruit, leaves, flower, bark, and seeds.
- It is rich in nutrients, vitamins ( B, C, A), minerals like copper, zinc, magnesium, iron, calcium, potassium, selenium, phosphorus, and essential amino acid.
- It improves taste in food, increases appetite and digestion capacity.
- It is alkaline in nature.
- Used in the treatment of diarrhea.
- Good for heart, lower cholesterol levels, and high blood pressure.
- It helps in weight loss.
- Its leaves decoction is useful in painful menstruation, backache, and pimples.
- In bloating and low appetite its flowers are consumed as a salad.
- It is very beneficial in the liver, pancreas and spleen disease.
- Good for a diabetic person.
- It improves eyesight.
- It is aphrodisiac, increases sperm count and sperm quality.
- It strengthens bone, joints, and teeth.
- It is a natural painkiller, used in joint pain( use leave juice and apply it's paste locally)both externally and internally. Useful in gout and muscle cramps.
- Good for the skin. Apply its leaves paste on acne, blackheads, urticaria, itching, and other skin disorders.
- In headache apply a paste of leaves on head.
- It reduces jaw stiffness.
- Prevents the growth of tumor.
- It removes excess acidity of urine, increases urine excretion, and remove kidney stones.
- As it is full of nutrition it should be used during pregnancy.
How to use it?
1. It is used both externally and internally. *Add fresh or dried leaves and pod in dal or vegetables.
2. Leaves chutney can be made.
3. Flowers can be used in salad.
4. Kada (decoction) of its pod or left can be consumed. Add one chopped pod in 2 cups of water and boil it until it remains half filter this and drink lukewarm.
5. Apply its paste locally in skin problems and joint pain. Note - Avoid its internal use in bleeding disorders and in excessive body heat.