Researchers say that women are four times more likely to suffer from depression. Menopause is another natural phenomenon in a woman’s life, where her body goes through many changes. This is the most crucial time in life. As with bodily changes there are other factors acting to also show change in mood that reflects in behavior. These uncontrolled mood shifts which are reflected in behavior creates more irritability in return. So, it is very important to know what actually is going on.
Causes of depression in menopause.
Menopause is difficult time for women, as there are mood shifts and also the body is showing fatigue. It is due to the hormonal changes. It can take your body to time to get used to the declining levels of estrogen and progesterone. Not only this, situation can be an additional factor. Menopause happens somewhere around the age of 40’s. That is also the time when lot of things are either in transaction mode or have recently changed. Like kids getting married, or found new job or going out for further opportunities. Loss of a family member. Or family issues. Women at this time period tend to get more sensitive emotionally Signs and symptoms, now that you have understood the reason for the change, now observe the overt changes to be fully sure.
- Difficulty concentrating
- Feeling of sadness
- Lack of motivation
- Mood changes
- Irregular periods
- Lower fertility
- Vaginal Dryness
- Hot flashes
- Night sweats
- Disturbed Sleep
- Urinary Problems
How to manage?
All the biological changes that one goes through cannot be stopped or just ignored or changed easily. But, yes it can be managed. Here her few tips that can help you manage these, for you.
- Make a schedule that includes exercise, walk, yoga or any activity that makes your body work up
- Plan your meals,do not stay empty stomach for long. It will only fuel your irritability
- Socialize. Meet friends with whom you share healthy connection or bond. Meet women who are going through same and have managed it gracefully
- Find leisure activity and time as per your liking. Make sure that you do not stay ideal for longer periods
- Meditate or relax.Meditation can also be done with music. Play any music that soothes you or make your spirits go up. Meditation could be recalling peaceful happy memories.Meditation could be sitting with closed eye and just by 5 senses, sensing the present. Meditation could be breathing in and out.
- Talk to your family not only about what is happening but also how can they help you in managing. or to rediscover the new you.
No matter how much you do not want to, start small. You necessarily do not have to give 1 hour or 45 minutes. You can start with 10 mins. Allow your inner self to be free and enjoy. You can find more tips from your own experience as the main motive is be happy and create an nurturing environment, like always."