Dr Neha Bansal, out in-house child specialist, talked about constipation in kids today. It just happened that she was done with consulting one of the children suffering from the issue. Constipation in children can be a much bigger problem than it is in adults as there is lack of communication in kids and it is also difficult to make them understand things.
The problem is most common in toddlers. The symptoms include:
- Stomach Pain
- Showing up of blood in the stool.
- Red mass prostration.
- Bloated feeling.
But what is the root cause of this problem? Dr Neha detects it to be low water intake, low fibre intake, to be one of the top reasons. Other than that, it can be hereditary also, if there is a family history of constipation.
How to handle it?
If constipation is a regular problem with your kid, consulting a doctor should be on your top priority for better treatment. As a regular measure to keep away from it, you should take care of the following:
- Give your child fluids. It helps the stools to move easily through intestines.
- Train your child to sit on the toilet and try to relieve himself.
- Include fibre rich food in your child’s diet.
- Serve meals as per a fixed schedule.
- Ensure that your child is physically active.
A healthy lifestyle is a key to disease-free living and you need to inculcate the same in your children’s life. If there is any problem related to your child’s health, it is best to consult a paediatrician as they understand your child’s medical needs and provides a solution based on their physiology and psychology.