Piles are engorged rectal veins with venous blood. Depending on the level of engorgement piles are classified in different stages.
- In the first stage, painless bleeding is the only presenting sign. There is no visible mass protrusion.
- If piles are not treated at this level; pile masses start bulging out of rectum during defecation. After defecation; pile mass reduces by its own. This is called the second stage of piles. At these stages correction of dietary habits, some exercise and kshar karma will benefit.
- Further, increase in pile mass size makes the manual reduction of pile mass necessary i.e. Pile mass does not go inside by itself. This is the third stage of internal piles. After manual reduction; pile mass remains inside the rectum.
- If piles are not treated at this level also; then Pile mass remains permanently outside the rectum. A manual reduction will also not work and protruding pile mass creates a problem in day to day activities like moving or walking.
- In third and fourth degree of piles; Ksharsutra ligation of pile mass is necessary. This ligated Ksharsutra blocks the blood supply of pile mass and with the effect of medicine-coated on Kshrasutra within 10-15 days piles mass fall down on its own. Ksharsutra ligation of Pile mass is done as an OPD procedure. There is no necessity of hospitalization or bed rest in this treatment.
So Ayurveda assures complete treatment for piles at all stages of piles. No recurrence is observed in this treatment.
Dos and don'ts for Piles problem:
- Take plenty of fluids;
- Take adequate fiber-rich food items;
- If needed you can take some laxative occasionally (under supervision of Ayurvedic physician)
- Do not go for defecation if you are not feeling urge for defecation
- Do not strain too much while defecation
- Do not sit for long during defecation. Maximum of 5 minutes for defecation.
- Maintain active daily routine.