Diet and nutrient status are important factors in the formation of healthy bones. Hence, Strong bones are crucial to good health, and good nutrition is crucial to strong bones.
Tips for good nutrition to keep them strong, solid, and healthy are:
- Drink plenty of water. Water hydrates the body and acts as a lubricant, allowing the cartilage surfaces of the bones to slide easily over each other.
- Include Calcium-rich food in your diet like yoghurt, milk, broccoli, Calcium-fortified cereals, etc. As Calcium is a mineral that people need to build and maintain strong bones and teeth. Those with Lactose Intolerance can consume soy milk, fortified soy beverage or fortified cereal, etc.
- Include Vitamin D in your diet as Vitamin D also is essential to bone health, as it promotes calcium absorption in the gut, etc. Sources: Fatty Fish, egg yolk, foods fortified with vitamin D, Don’t forget to get some sunlight as when exposed to the sun for 10 to 15 minutes, our body produces Vitamin D.
- Include protein-rich food like sprouts, low-fat dairy products, fish, lean chicken etc·
- Vitamin K is mostly known for helping out with blood clotting, but it also helps the body make proteins for healthy bones. Sources: broccoli, Swiss chard, and spinach.
- Intake of Vitamin A and C is also important as Collagen is the main protein in bone, and Vitamin C is necessary for collagen synthesis. Whereas Vitamin A is necessary for cells to differentiate normally and for normal skeletal growth, and for healthy eyes. Sources of Vitamin C are citrus fruits, etc. Sources of Vitamin A are carrots, green leafy vegetables, egg etc.
- Phosphorus and Magnesium intake is important as both are found in bones crystals. They improve bone strength. Sources nuts, beans, fish, dark green leafy vegetables, etc.
- Be active. Exercise regularly to keep bones strongest. Example: walking, jogging, etc·
- Don’t drink aerated drinks and too much of caffeine.
- Don’t smoke.
- Avoid drinking alcohol and limit salt intake.
Hence, taking small steps to improve your diet, along with regular exercise, will help to keep your body healthier.