A smile speaks volumes about your personality. Most smile makeover dentists in South Mumbai recommend teeth whitening to enhance your smile. A perfect shade of pearly whites can do wonders for your confidence. Whether you're looking for teeth whitening services in South Mumbai, Pune or any other city, it is important to consult a dentist before choosing any treatment. Remember Ross's teeth whitening blunder from an episode in Friends? You do not want to end up with a set of teeth brighter than headlights.
Teeth whitening services cater to a variety of people. From smokers wanting to undo the staining of teeth caused by smoking, to socialites whose smile is worth a million bucks to the paparazzi.
A dental examination is the first step to determine if teeth whitening is suitable for you. An X- ray is taken to zero in on the cause of teeth discoloration. A Vita Shade Guide is used to document your pre whitening shade and to monitor the effectiveness of the whitening session. Whitening options are discussed according to the skin tone and teeth shade of the patient. There are two common types of Professional teeth whitening.
Professional In-office Teeth Whitening
- It is a dentist supervised procedure and provides faster results in a shorter span of time. The treatment is completed in an hour.
- The dentist secures the gums and bleaches teeth using a whitening gel with a higher concentration of peroxide.
- Additionally, a laser could be used for better results.
Professional At-home Teeth Whitening
- This process is carried out in the comfort of your home. It gives slower results over a longer period. Depending on the degree of discoloration, the results take two weeks to a several months. The frequency of the treatment can vary and will be determined by the dentist.
- Carry home trays are custom-made based on impressions of a patient's teeth.
- Whitening gel containing lesser concentrate of peroxide is inserted in the tray and slipped over the teeth by the patient.
- At the end of a session, the trays are removed, the extra gel is brushed off and the mouth is rinsed.
- This process is so simple that it can be conducted in your car during a 30-minute drive.
- It is a comparatively inexpensive treatment.
Teeth Whitening Services: Post-care Steps
- To increase the life span of the teeth whitening treatment, smoking and consumption of sugary foods, coffee, wine, and other staining agents like haldi are to be avoided. Let’s avoid having the colors of the rainbow on the teeth.
- Some patients may experience sensitivity post whitening. In such cases, the dentist usually prescribes toothpaste for sensitive teeth.
- If the pain is intense, a dental follow up is recommended.
Apart from the above-mentioned procedures, there are several methods for whitening teeth using home products. Stay tuned to know more about home remedies for whiter teeth.
by DR RAGINI PARMAR