Acidity is a common name referred to regurgitation of acid or partly digested food from stomach into food pipe or mouth.
Water Brash / Heartburn:
Heartburn / water brash is burning sensation behind the breast bone or sternum. It is due to regurgitation of sour fluid from the esophagus into the oral cavity. It is normal when it occurs occasionally but frequent and severe heartburn is a manifestation of some esophageal dysfunction.
Small or big erosion in the mucosa (lining) of the stomach.
Causes of Acidity:
- Stress and tensions
- Emotional factors like fear, anger, tension etc
- Overeating, large meals
- Alcohol,Cigarette smoking
- Irregular eating habits
- Certain drugs like, aspirin, antibiotics, pain killers etc
- Bending, lying down or physical exertion soon after eating
- After eating certain food like- onion, coffee, tea, tomatoes, citrus fruits, spicy, pepper, chilies, deep fried food, aerated drinks
Causes of Peptic Ulcer:
- Genetic factors
- Increased secretion of acid in stomach
- Smoking and alcohol consumption
- Drug induced- long term consumption of aspirin, antibiotics
- Type“A” personality – aggressive, anxious, and ambitious
- Prolonged stress and anxiety
Dietary Management to Beat Acidity:
- Treat the causes- take measures to relieve tensions and stress from life.
- Relax for about 20 minutes before and after eating.
- Eat bland food; less hot food add little or no oil to your food- bland boiled vegetables.
- Eat fresh fruits and salads, ash gourd juice.
- You can have takmaria, commonly known as falooda seeds (Impatiens balsamina), they have cooling effect and helps in digestion in hot weathers.
- Avoid citrus fruits, coffee, tea, raw vegetables, meat extracts, condiments spices and apple.
- Avoid canned and processed food- they contain chemical irritants.
- Avoid fried food and fats - you can include sesame oil, mustard oil, oily fish, linseed oil, skimmed milk and low fat milk products in your diet in small quantities.
- Avoid tobacco and alcohol.
- Eat meals at regular intervals, at regular time.
- Do not overeat; eat small meals at short intervals, little food at every 2 hrs.
- In snacks you can have biscuits (not the cream ones), toast with / without butter, sandwiches, light cake, curds, butter milk, ice creams, custards and puddings.
- Avoid drinking immediately before meals and drink sparingly during the meals.
- Do not exercise, bend, stoop / sleep immediately after meals.
- Avoid drugs like painkillers, antibiotics, aspirin, NSAID, steroids.
- Drink cold milk before retiring to bed.