If your skin has raised, itchy rashes and pain in the areas like eyes, throat, cheeks, lips, hands then you may be the sufferer of "Urticaria" which is a very common skin disease. Urticaria rashes range in size, from a few millimeters to several inches in diameter. It is also known as allergic skin reaction.
In Ayurveda this is called as ‘Sheetapitta’. According to Ayurveda, aggravation of kapha (water) and vata (air) occurs when people come in contact with cold air. It also causes the aggravation of pitta dosha (fire) which spread into the rakta dhatu (blood tissues). Rakta dhatu is vitiated due to excess of pitta. Then aggravated doshas relocate in skin, which causes the urticaria (Sheet pitta).
Causes of Sheetapitta (Urticaria)
- Excess intake of salty and pungent food
- Eating large amounts of sour gruels
- Excessive intake of mustard
- Exposure to cold wind
- Contact of cold substances
- Day sleep, Improper emesis
- Altered features in rainy and winter season
- Insect bite ,Contact of poisonous insects / bugs
Symptoms of Sheetapitta
- In Urticaria, rashes occur on face, arms, trunk and legs.
- Headache, Red rashes, Itching, Congestion of eyes is also a symptom of Sheetapitta.
- There is a condition called as angioedema which occurs in urticaria. Angioedema results in the burning or pain around the areas like eyes, cheeks, lips, hands, genitals and feet may occur in the cases of urticaria.
Tips to avoid & cure Urticaria
- As far as possible, limit salt intake, and avoid sour food like yogurt, curd, and instead have bitter tasting food like bitter gourd. However, onion and garlic are considered to be good in this condition.
- Maintain a food diary so that the relationship between a food type and appearance of symptoms can be noted. Avoid all sweets including sugar, jaggery, and alcohol.
- Avoid incompatible foods, sour foods, and heavy foods that are difficult to digest.
- Have freshly prepared, easily digestible foods.
- Eat cooked split gram (split legumes), bitter gourd vegetable, and pomegranate.
- Use honey rather than sugar.
- Fast for one day or have very light foods like boiled rice, vegetable soup, etc.
- Avoid suppressing the urge to vomit.
- Stress accounts for worsening this health condition.
- You should practice techniques which relax your mind and soul, such as meditation, yoga, and deep breathing. These are effective in stress relief.
In case the above symptoms are accompanied by breathing difficulties, vomiting, variation in heart beat or blood pressure, the patient should be rushed to emergency care in a hospital.
Treatment in Ayurveda
Ayurvedic herbs like Haridra (Curcuma longa), Neem (Azadirachta indica), Shirish (Albezzia lebbock), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Shirish (Albezzia lebbock), Vasa works very good in treatment of Urticaria.
Elimination of dosha & Purification of the body toxins with Ayurvedic medicines and Panchakarma procedures is essential to cure Urticaria. Abhyanga (massage), svedana (fomentation), vaman (induced vomiting) and virechen (induced loose motion) are very effective in treating Urticaria.
Ayurveda Home Remedies for Urticaria
1. Paste of Neem leaves / Guduchi leaves or aloevera pulp can consumed in 5 to 7 gm dose daily to reduce urticaria.
2. Take 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder with a glass of milk or water two to three times a day. It is an excellent treatment to increase the body’s immunity.
3. Massage the skin with mustard oil for 15 minutes, followed it with a bath with lukewarm water.
4. Mix black pepper powder ½ to one teaspoon and desi ghee ½ teaspoon and consume it in empty stomach every morning. Continue for up to three months for better results.Ayurveda home remedies for Urticaria/Hives (Sheetapitta)