PINK is the flavour of the season. The recent movie talks about a very important burning issue in our society.
However, there is an equally important but often neglected issue of mental health in India which should prompt us to ask ourselves the question…. Are you in the PINK of health?
- It is estimated depression will be the largest contributor to global burden of disease by 2030
- The prevalence of depression among adults is around 15% in India
- It is estimated that 50 million people in India, suffer from mental health disorders
- 17% of world’s suicides occur in India
- More adolescents die of suicide than illness or road traffic accidents
The World Health Organization defines health as “A state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity” and there can be no health without mental health.
Yet when we go for a health checkup we are only concerned about our BP, sugar, and cholesterol levels. If they are normal we think we are healthy.
But have you ever paused to think….
- “How stressed am I?”
- “Am I sleeping well?”
- “Am I happy with my life?”
- “Do I feel irritated easily and snap at people more?”
- “Which way are my personal relationships headed?”
- “Do I get a sense of relief if I smoke or consume alcohol or pop sleeping pills?”
- “Do exams and deadlines give you nightmares?”
Your answers to these questions may make you pause and rethink! Any of these symptoms affecting your efficiency is a good yardstick to judge whether you need help.
If you want to be healthy it is equally important to care for your mental health as well!