What is hernia ?
Hernia is a bulge or protrusion occurs due to weakness in a particular area of a muscle or muscle group which allows the underlying organ or tissues to bulge out through the defect.
Laparoscopic surgery- How effective is it for hernia?
Laparoscopic surgery is a very good technique to repair hernias if the Surgeon is well experienced in other common laparoscopic procedures. It is most of the time day care surgery unless the patient has other co morbid features. There is no scar and patients are able to return their work soon after the laparoscopic hernia repair. With good experience, there is no contraindication to laparoscopy with regard to larger sized hernia. Because, the larger defect also can be closed by laparoscopy and accordingly, the large sized mesh can be anchored with laparoscopic sutures.
What are different types of hernias treated laparoscopically?
- Groin swelling ( Inguinal hernias)
- Umbilical hernia
- Epigastric hernia
- Incisional hernia
- Paediatric hernia
- Hiatus hernia with reflux disease
Can hernia become an emergency?
Take home messages.
1. Hernia is not a disease but weakness of abdominal muscle end up in bulging. It can be completely treated laparoscopically.
2. Size or site or previous open repair is not an exclusion criteria for laparoscopic repair
3. Laparoscopic hernia repair is most of the times a day care procedure.