Diet cola is the companion of dieters everywhere because it seems to be a healthy choice. Diet cola satisfies your urge for sweet beverages. It includes artificial sweeteners like aspartame, saccharin, and sucralose. It may be free of calories but it is not free of side effects. Here are few reasons to avoid diet cola:-
1.Kidney damage:- A study found a 30% drop in the level of
kidney function in those women who drank 2 or more servings of diet cola a day. This is because the artificial sweeteners in diet cola scar kidney tissues which affect the kidney blood filtration process.
2. Weight gain:-Surprising, but true; diet cola consumption increases the risk of obesity. Researchers found that some people may feel that drinking diet cola gives them a “free pass” to eat high calorie unhealthy foods, leading to weight gain. Also, the sweet taste of diet cola makes us crave high calorie unhealthy foods. And depriving the body of these unhealthy foods confuses the brain, and the appetite increases in anticipation of the food it is expecting.
3. Total enamel damage:- Most of the diet colas contain phosphoric acid and some citric acid for carbonation (process of dissolving carbon dioxide in liquid) which erodes tooth enamel.
4. Bone loss:-Drinking diet cola can lead to bone loss because phosphoric acid in diet cola causes faster than normal excretion of the calcium in blood through urine. Your bones give up some of their calcium to the blood stream in order to maintain a constant level.
5. No nutritional value:-Diet Cola might have close to no calories, but it has absolutely no nutrients and does not benefit the body in any way and only causes harm.
6. Causes depression/insomnia/fatigue:-Artificial sweeteners in diet cola inhibit the function of serotonin(a neurotransmitter) and causes depression ,insomnia, irritability, fatigue and anxiety.
7. Heart attack:-According to researches, consuming more than one diet cola a day may increase the risk of stroke and heart attack by 43%.