Computer and other electronic gadgets are nowadays a part and parcel of life. Although there are many advantages, still there are few side effects that need to be addressed. Digital Eye Strain also referred to as Computer Vision Syndrome, describes a group of eye and vision-related problems that result from prolonged computer, tablet, e-reader, and cell phone use. It comprises of symptoms like pain in eyes, irritation, redness, dryness, blurred vision and double vision. Prevention is the best strategy. Let’s discuss how to take precaution for prevention for the same.
1. Every 15-30 minutes, take an eye break. Look at a distance and focus on an object for say 20-30 seconds.
2. Roll your eyes in full circle. Close your eyes and take rest for at least 1 minute.
3. Blink your eyes every 5 seconds.
4. Place your display at arm's length, with top of the display at or below the level of your eyes.
5. Use large fonts, adjust the brightness of the screen, reduce glare. Always use the gadgets in a properly lit environment. Avoid using them in lying down posture.
6. Use lubricating eye drops.
In case of suggestive symptoms, meet your Ophthalmologist at the earliest.