What are the Various Treatment Options Available for SUI or Stress Urinary Incontinence?
1. Lifestyle Changes
- Pelvic Floor Muscle Exercises or Kegel’s Exercise: By working and strengthening the specific muscles involved in supporting the bladder and urethra, one can reduce the symptoms of incontinence. These exercises, however, need to be done many times a day for a few weeks or months before you can see results. Look up https://fit.practo.com/#!/content/30963 for more details on Kegel's Exercise.
- Ensure good bowel function: constipation has worsened incontinence thus it is imperative that you drink 6-8 glasses of water and consume a fiber-rich diet every day.
- Maintain a healthy weight: Obesity aggravates SUI. Weight loss would be one of the first few strategies to lessen the severity of the incontinence.
- Quit Smoking: smoking directly affects your health and by inducing a chronic cough, indirectly increases the incontinence.
2. Bladder Training: Keeping a bladder diary helps understand the problem better. This also helps in training the bladder. Sometimes it helps to urinate more frequently rather than holding back urine or maybe drinking less water before going out socially to avoid problems.
3. Oral Medicines and Surgery: Medicines and surgery for correction are viable options for correcting the stress urinary incontinence. Medicines have the disadvantage of being required every day and the associated ‘no matter how small’ side effect. Surgery, on the other hand, requires hospital admission, anaesthesia, a very competent uro-gynac surgeon and even with all that there is no 100%guarantee that the problem will disappear.
4. Platelet Rich Plasma or PRP: Sometimes the patients own enriched blood (enriched by various complicated processes) is injected back into the bladder area giving dramatic relief to the problem. This treatment when done is usually combined with the use of Femilift or other energy based devices.
5. Femilift or Fractionated CO2 laser: A revolutionary technology that uses lasers to rejuvenate and replace the collagen tissue around the urethra and bladder walls thus tightening that area. It’s safe, effective and takes only 3 mins of therapy. For a lot of patients, one session is good enough while most will have relief after 2 or 3 sittings. It is the most modern form of treatment currently available that needs NO SURGERY OR MEDICATION.