The complete well-being of a person comprises of multiple aspects of their health, of which emotional health and well-being is crucial to lead a happy life but is often neglected. To define things- emotional health, as the term suggests, is healthy thoughts, feelings, and behaviors. Emotionally healthy people are more capable of keeping their relationships balanced and are better at stress management.
Emotionally healthy people are also more resilient when life “knocks” them down and are better at bouncing back when life presents them with setbacks.
5 tips on improving your emotional health-
1. Identify personal strengths- For a human being to function optimally, it is of the essence for him/her to recognize their strengths and weaknesses. We often draw from our strengths and grow as people by rectifying our weaknesses. Therefore, it is important for us to identify our strengths and be effective in using them in times of dire need. Not only does knowing ourselves come in handy when we are in a difficult situation, but it also helps us understand ourselves better.
2. Setup boundaries- We often forget that it is impossible for a person to solve all problems of another person in their life. It is true we should care and try to offer help when we can, but it can perhaps be emotionally exhausting. It is also not a novelty to know that people can sometimes be so indulged in their own lives that they forget the emotional burden they put on another. It is important to set boundaries and take some time to recuperate before helping another person. It is pretty similar to what the policy is for airplane passengers- put on your own oxygen mask before putting it on for others.
3. Vocalize your feelings in a polite and calm fashion- Feelings, be it good or bad can get the best of us. Therefore, just as the title suggests it is of extreme significance to voice our feelings in a polite and calm fashion. In addition, telling your loved ones about your worries makes them aware of what you might be going through besides building a support system. Being polite and calm in your demeanor even while telling someone about the worst of something gives off a positive impression and can help in reaching a solution faster than getting angry and/or emotional. Writing what you want to say to someone also helps in getting things across in a precise manner.
4. Find some activities that help you relax- Hobbies are a great way to take out time for yourself, and to ensure quality time for personal growth outside of work hours. It is not only important for your emotional well-being but decreases stress and helps you feel happy. It aids you in keeping boredom at bay and gives you creative avenues to explore new things.
5. Build a ritual with people you love- A ritual is an activity you do with your loved ones that can serve as an anchor in difficult times. It can be evening tea with a few of your close friends every Thursday or attending the Sunday mass at church together. A ritual is something where you find time from your busy life to do something with a group of people who may or may not comprise of your family to find solace in having a support system that would help you navigate various situations in life.