Constipation is a common problem that many individuals complain of on a daily basis. While irregular & infrequent bowel movements is not a pleasant thing, it can be generally treated by eating the right foods & avoiding the ones that cause constipation.
Here is a list of foods to be eaten to relieve constipation & foods to be avoided:
- Eating fibres is very important to relieve constipation. Raw vegetables, salads and fruits are a good source of fibres. Take a bowl full of veggies and a bowl full of fruits everyday to get rid of constipation.
- Instead of taking maida, rice, white bread switch to multigrain food items. Eat multigrain cereals, oats, brown rice, etc.
- Beans are good for relieving constipation. Eat beans in the form of salad or soup.
- Don’t start taking too many fibres suddenly otherwise it would make you feel bloated. So add fibre slowly.
- Drink lots of water and other liquids but not carbonated ones. Staying hydrated is important to pass stools.
- Don’t eat bananas often. Eat papaya daily once especially before bedtime at night.
- Red meat which is high in iron can contribute to constipation.
- Calcium-containing food items such as cheese can cause constipation.
- Legumes are also a good source of fibres so they relieve constipation.
- Frozen, processed food items and food items with preservatives should be avoided if you have constipation.
- Chips, fast food and ice creams should also be avoided.
- Coffee is good for relieving constipation.
- Kiwis and oranges being rich in fibres help relieve constipation.
- Drink green tea and coconut water to get relief from constipation.
- Curd being probiotic is good for the digestive tract. It improves gut health and soften stools & hence is great to relieve constipation.