10 foods that promote good sleep:
1. Almonds: Almonds contain magnesium which helps in relaxing the muscles. This helps in promoting sleep. Almonds contain proteins that can make your blood sugar levels normal. If you suffer from lack of sleep, pop in some almonds before you go to bed.
2. Walnuts: Walnuts contain tryptophan, a sleep-enhancing amino acid that helps in the production of melatonin. Melatonin helps people sleep faster.
3. Banana: Bananas are filled with magnesium and potassium. They help in relaxing the overstressed muscles. Bananas contain tryptophan that makes melatonin. Melatonin promotes sleep.
4. Dairy products: Dairy products like yogurt, milk, etc contain tryptophan that produces melatonin that promotes sleep. They have another ingredient, calcium that reduces stress and stabilizes nerve fibers. For good sleep, drink a glass of warm milk before you go to bed.
5. Honey: Honey contains glucose that tells the brain to shut down the release of orexin, a hormone that keeps people awake. Hence honey promotes sleep.
6. Whole grains: Whole grains like barley, flax seeds, etc contain lots of magnesium. They relax the muscles and promote sleep.
7. Spinach: Green leafy vegetables like spinach contain calcium that helps the brain use tryptophan to produce melatonin that promotes sleep.
8. Cherries: Cherries contain melatonin that can put you to sleep.
9. Oatmeal: Oats are rich in melatonin that promotes sleep. Oats have tranquilizing and nerve-restorative properties that help you in getting a good night’s sleep.
10. Fish: Fish such as tuna, salmon, etc are rich in vitamin B6. The body uses vitamin B6 to produce melatonin and melatonin promotes sleep.
Sleeplessness can lead to weight gain and it can make you feel inactive. In long run, lack of sleep can lead to heart attacks, stroke, and diabetes, etc. So, it's important to sleep well and sleep tight on a regular basis.