Dentist vs dental surgeon

Hi.. Can some one tell me the difference between a dentist and dental surgeon? I want to consult for my root canal, and I got a reference of a dentist and another dental surgeon.. So got confused who does what and who would be better

Doctor Answers (5) on Dentist vs dental surgeon

For a root canal treatment, you must consult an endodontist.
Dr. Prashanth .V Chennai | Oral And MaxilloFacial Surgeon
Hi, dentist or dental surgoen boteaning the same . And all dentist do root canals , and some dental treatments . There some dentist who specialise in surgeries related to head and neck region they are called oral and maxillofacial surgeons and it's a masters degree .
There are two types of qualifications in India the graduate is BDS degree and after that there is a post graduation degree which comes after another three years of study called MDS degree.The MDS degree is in various departments like oral surgery and maxillofacial surgery which pertains to surgery in mouth head and neck and face regions including procedures like wisdom tooth removal cysts orthognathic or jaw surgery trauma or fracture of the jaws etc. Orthodontics is the subject where the dentist used to correct tooth and jaws position using wires called Orthodontic wires.pedodontist is a person specialised in dealing with problems in children and prosthodontist deals with making dentures complete and removable as well as all making ceramic bridges to replace the lost teeth.Actually the terms dentist Dental surgeon are used interchangeable in India.You could look at the person DEGREE or qualifications to clear your doubt.
Usualy graduates in dental surgery are referred as dental surgeons and dentist is used in broader term for all who r practicin dentistry graduates or post graduates..and if u want to be specific then post graduate dentists are referred according to thr masters as in ur case for root canal thr r endodontists other wise all graduates in dentistry practicin general dentistry do these procedures...best of luck
The degree BDS stands for Bachelor of Dental Surgery. So technically all dentists are dental surgeons. Oral and maxillofacial surgeons are the dentists who have done MDS in Oral surgery. But I don't think you are talking abt them. Dental surgeons or Dentists do General dentistry like root canals, fillings, extractions, cleaning, replacement of missing teeth, teeth whitening and so on. Oral and maxillofacial surgeons generally do wisdom tooth surgeries, cyst removal surgeries and the other procedures where surgery is involved in related to the Head, neck region. I hope this solves your doubt. Thanks, Dr. Vishal karkamkar