Tooth sensitivity is a common dental problem in India as 1 out of 3 people suffer from tooth sensitivity. The pain is often sharp and sudden and their discomfort in the teeth as a response to certain substances and temperature. Tooth sensitivity develops over time because of receding gums and enamel wear due to poor oral health which exposes the dentine. The pain might come and go and may range from mild to intense.
Reasons for tooth sensitivity:
1. Teeth grinding or clenching can wear down enamel
2. Using a hard-bristled toothbrush or brushing hard causes the enamel to wear-down.
3. Gingivitis. Inflamed and sore gum tissue can result in the exposure of the tooth root.
4. Cracked teeth can cause inflammation in the pulp of the tooth.
5. Acidic foods. These can encourage enamel reduction.
6. Alcohol-based- mouthwashes contain acid and long term use of the same can damage the dentin layer and make it all the more sensitive.
7. Dental procedures like a root canal, cleaning, tooth restoration could cause sensitivity and pain.
Treatment for Sensitive Teeth:
1. Use desensitizing toothpaste. Fluoridated toothpaste is recommended for sensitive teeth.
2. Laser-assisted pain management.
3. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush.
4. Avoid highly acidic foods.
5. Avoid teeth grinding.
6. Bonding, crowns or inlays fix a tooth that is causing sensitivity
7. Fluoride gel or varnish.
8. Root canal treatment is the last-option for severe tooth sensitivity that has not been helped by other methods.
Tooth sensitivity may seem common but it’s safe to get a consultation by a doctor immediately before getting any other dental problem and ensure your oral health.