Hair transplant is one of the most commonly done aesthetic procedure in the world, the demand of this procedure still increasing day by day but most of the people don't know about what exactly it is and hesitate to undergo this procedure despite being wanting it. So this article is an attempt to explain hair transplant in the simplest way to the common public. We also tried to bust myths related to hair transplant so that people may feel more comfortable before going for this procedure.
What is hair transplant?
Hair transplant is a minor day care surgical procedure, done to reconstruct the natural hairline, restore the lost hair volume or to hide the existing baldness. Basically, in hair transplant, permanent hairs from the back of the head (Donor area) is transferred into the frontal bald area (recipient area). The transplanted hair never fall and remain in the recipient area permanently.
Terminology related to hair transplant.
1.Grade of baldness: Extent of baldness, in male patterned hair loss we have 7 grades of baldness (Norwood -Hamilton classification).
2.Donor area: This is the area of the scalp from where the hairs are taken and these hairs never fall. It is a small area over the back and side of the scalp.
3.Recipient area: The bald area or patch where the hair needs to be implanted.
4.Graft: These are hair follicles which are taken with the micro punches from the donor area.
5.Slits: these are spaces made with needles or blade in the recipient area where finally the grafts are put.
6.Harvesting: Taking out graft.
Methods of hair transplant.
This can be done by two methods
1.FUE (Follicular unit extraction) in which individual hair follicles are harvested with a micro-punch and implanted to a bald area.
2.FUT (follicular unit transplantation) in which whole long strip of scalp skin including hair follicles are taken out and then individual hair follicles are removed and implanted to the bald area.
Nowadays FUE method is preferred over FUT as it is less painful, scar less with less downtime.
How hair transplant is done hair transplant involves 3 steps
1) Slit creation
2) Harvesting of grafts
3) Implantation to the recipient area
Who should undergo hair transplant-
Any healthy person who is suffering from baldness and hair loss can consider the hair transplant surgery.
Facts about hair transplant
1. Hair transplant Hair transplant has no side effect on your body or brain.
2. Hair transplant doesn’t cause cancer.
3. Hair transplant is a minor procedure so you don’t need to follow any special instructions post surgery.
4. You can resume your normal activity immediately after hair transplant surgery.
5. Hair transplant involves very mild pain which usually doesn't require any painkillers.
6. Hair transplant is a single day single session procedure in most of the cases, but in advance grade of baldness 2-3 sessions may be required.
7. The patient should do thorough research about the centre where they are undergoing hair transplant, as nowadays many un-authorized non-doctor centres are mushrooming and also doing the hair transplants which may put patient health at risk.
Article is written by Dr Prakash kumar Khute, MD
Author is practising dermatologist and hair transplant surgeon in Delhi