Adenoids are a patch of tissues that are at the back of nasal cavity which trap germs from entering the body to prevent infection. Adenoids sometimes get enlarged as they trap germs to prevent infection. Enlarged tonsils can be seen easily by opening the mouth but enlarged adenoids can’t be seen. Since frequent throat infections can cause enlarged adenoids; they can obstruct breathing and block the eustachian tube ( which connect the middle ear to throat) which can cause recurrent ear infection.
Risk factors for Adenoids:
Certain risk factors can predispose to adenoiditis and thus enlarged adenoids:
- Recurrent throat infection
- Recurrent tonsillitis.
- If you are frequently exposed to germs and microbes.
Complications of enlarged adenoids:
- Ear infection: Due to blocked eustachian tube there are increased chances of recurrent ear infection.
- Clogged ears: sometimes mucus buildup may clog the ear causing difficulty in hearing.
- Sinusitis: the infection may also infect the sinus cavity and cause sinusitis.
- Chest infection: the infection may travel to the chest in children and may cause chest congestion.
- Difficulty in swallowing.Mouth breathing as breathing through nose is difficult.Snoring.
- Sleep apnea which is periodic lapse of breathing during sleep.
SYMPTOMS & CAUSES
- Ear infection
- Habitual mouth breathing
- Blocked nose
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Nasal tone in speech
- Sleep apnea
Adenoiditis is caused by bacterial infection usually streptococcus but it can be caused by a number of viruses as well such as Epstein-barr virus, adenovirus and rhinovirus.
DIAGNOSIS & TREATMENT
- Physical examination by ENT.
- Throat examination using swabs for bacterias and other microorganisms.
- Blood test.
- Xray of head to determine the size of adenoids.
Usually antibiotics do help but cases where antibiotics don’t help adenoids are removed.
But homeopathic medicines are better option to replace the need for antibiotics and surgery.
- Healthy diet with curd will help the case to maintain immunity.
- Plenty of fluids.Maintain hygiene.
- Ask the child to wash hands frequently.
- Avoid cold water and things.
Homeopathic medicines work like magic in cases of adenoids which are hard to treat and require surgery.
The medicine would not only take care of the swollen adenoids but would also boost the immunity of the child thus curing the case and removing the symptoms permanently without any antibiotic or surgery.
But medicines should always be prescribed by a registered homeopath only after thorough analysis of the case.
DO's And DON'Ts
- Healthy diet with full of nutrients and natural probiotics.
- Plenty of fluids.
- Wash hands frequently.
- Maintain hygiene.
- Avoid cold water.
- Avoid exposure to germs and microbes.