Dental caries is an irreversible microbial disease of the calcified tissue of the teeth, characterized by demineralization of organic substance of the tooth,which often leads to cavitation
Dental caries is a multifactorial disease with interaction among three factors, the tooth, the microflora (bacteria present in mouth) and the diet.
Basically Cause of caries can be understood as:
- Bacteria already present in mouth feeds on ferment-able or sugar rich food that we eat.
- With The action of bacteria, that food is fermented into acids
- This acid then over the time leads to erosion or wearing away of teeth.
- This causes cavities.
Stages of Caries/cavity progression:
- In Early Stages there is absolutely no symptoms, you will just see some discoloration of chewing surface of your teeth.
- Once the caries Reaches dentin, One will experience sensitivity to cold .
- Once Caries progresses Deep into Dentin, One will start experiencing mild ocassional pain and extreme sensitivity.
- In last stage, when it involves pulp, one will experience severe pain, specialy on lying down, and will also experience sensitivity to hot (which was previously absent)
Treatment of Dental Caries/Cavities:
- Stage I,II : Well sealed Restoration (Filling) after removing the decayed portion.
- Stage III (Deep dentin): Well Sealed restoration (filling) with a calcium hydroxide or MTA base beneath it.
- Stage IV (PULP): Endodontic treatment/Root Canal Treatment.
How to Prevent Dental Caries/Cavities
- Make sure to Brush twice a day.
- Make sure to clean between the teeth with the help of floss once a day.
- Rinse your Mouth after every meal.
- Do not food that tends to stick to teeth.
- Visit Your Dentist for a regular check up every 6 months.