Due to poor eating habits and poor lifestyle, every other person is going through constipation problem. It is caused due to poor diet, insufficient water intake, stress, medications and sedentary lifestyle.
If poor lifestyle has left you with constipation, then here are few tips to get rid of it:
- HIGH FIBER FOODS: High fiber foods like whole grain cereals (like daliya, oats and pulses), seasonal veggies and fresh fruits are high in fiber and helps in relieving constipation. Avoid foods made with refined flour like pastas, noodles, breads and biscuits. Include green leafy vegetables especially spinach juice mixed with equal amount of water as it will be helpful. Fiber is essential for a healthy gut.
Choose multi-grain flour or multi-grain breads. You can also add bran kneaded with veggies to the flour while making chapatis. Brown rice is full of fiber. So let it replace white variety of rice. Sprouts again are a very good source of fiber. Add them to rolls, salads, raitas, soups, etc. and enjoy a hearty meal.
- WATER: Drink plenty of water and stay hydrated. We require minimum of 8-12 glasses of water per day. This will help the toxins to flush out either in the form of urine or sweat. Have a glass of warm water after you wake up. You can also add a dash of lemon juice to water and consume it in the morning.
- NO MORE JUICES: Include the freshness of seasonal fruits rather than juicing them. This deprives them of fiber. Also packaged food and canned juices are full of sugar so beware of including them in your diet. Papaya and guava specially helps in relieving constipation.
- CONDIMENTS AND NUTS: Adding condiments like ginger juice, zeera, ajwain, flax seeds to your daily diet helps in relieving constipation. Chia seeds also help in relieving the symptoms.
- ISABGOL: Bulking agents like isabgol also helps in relieving constipation. It can be taken with water for good results.
- PHYSICAL ACTIVITY: A minimum 35-45 minutes of physical activity on a daily basis is recommended.
Always Remember- It is not a good thought to opt for laxatives when you feel constipated. It becomes a habit. Further regular intake of laxatives can damage your intestines also. So, always try to include home remedies for constipation rather than medications. If still there is no relief in constipation, then you should consult a doctor.