If your muscle pain is caused by tension or physical activity, take these measures to lower your risk of developing muscle pain in the future:
- Stretch your muscles before engaging in physical activity and after workouts.
- Incorporate a warm-up and a cool-down into all of your exercise sessions.
- Stay hydrated, especially on the days when you are active.
- Engage in regular exercise to help promote optimal muscle tone.
- Get up and stretch regularly if you work at a desk or in an environment that puts you at risk for muscle strain or tension.
According to the NIH, people who work at a desk should make an effort to get up and stretch at least every 60 minutes
Your sore muscles might be due to something other than tension and physical activity. In this case, your doctor will best be able to advise you on how to fully resolve your muscle pain. The first priority will probably be to treat the primary condition.