We easily forget about how painful toothaches are until we get struck with them (again). Studies have shown that more than 95% of the general population will suffer from toothache at some points in their lives.
What are the causes of toothaches?
- Tooth decay
- Abscessed tooth
- Infected gums
- Tooth fractures
- Repetitive mouth motions such as chewing and grinding
- Damaged filling
- TMJ (Temporomandibular joint disorders)
- Tooth impaction and eruption
Toothaches may also manifest as symptoms of heart diseases (angina, heart attacks), ear infections or other sinus conditions.
What are the tell-tales symptoms of toothaches?
- Swelling and pain around the teeth and jaw
- Sensitivity to heat and cold food and drinks
- Bleeding around tooth and gums
- Increased pain when chewing
- Fever and headache
- Foul-tasting drainage from the infected tooth
Schedule an appointment with Dr. Deepak @ KSHEMA SPECIALISTS CLINIC as soon as possible of your toothache lasts longer than 1 or 2 days, or if the pain is accompanied by a fever, earache or pain when opening your mouth wide.
Some over-the-counter pain medications like aspirin, paracetamol and ibuprofen may relieve the pain and swelling, but it’s still best to get to see your dentist and find out the main cause of your toothache.
Prevent toothaches by practicing good oral hygiene and with regular visits to your dentists.