Yellow teeth have been a reason of concern from centuries and people are always looking for reason behind it. Some even don’t smile to save themselves from the disgrace by their ‘yellow smile’. So, here are big offenders to white teeth which causes discoloration of teeth and bring the moral down of people.
1. Foods and drinks
o Coffee and tea. Dark coffee and tea has the potential to stain your teeth if taken frequently.
o Soda, wine and sports drinks. The acid present in these drinks can soften the enamel making it prone to decay and caries. Anything which is capable of causing decay can easily be responsible of staining your teeth.
o Sauces. Dark colored sauces like soya sauce and tomato ketchup surely is a significant threat to your teeth.
o Berries. Berries like cranberries, blueberries, pomegranates etc can leave tint on your tongue as well as teeth. Remember to rinse or brush.
2. Poor oral hygiene: Brushing removes the yellow layer over the teeth sowhen its not removed, the teeth gives a yellow hue which looks very un-appealing. Regular brushing twice a day with flossing can overcome this situation.
3. Smoking: Teeth are also stained by tar and nicotine present in cigarettes. The more you smoke, the more stain builds up on your teeth giving it a yellowish tint.
4. Diseases, treatments and medications Dentinogenesis imperfecta Chemotherapy Antihistamines, antipsychotic, antihypertensivedrugs
5. Age: As the outer and whiter layer of teeth wear away with age, the color of the teeth darkens bringing out the yellow natural color of dentin.
6. Genetics: Sometimes genetics also play a role in the color and texture of development of teeth.