What is acne?
1. Acne commonly knows as pimple. It is caused due to clogged skin pores. Some people call blackheads, blemishes, whiteheads or zits.
2. It usually appears on the face, but can present itself on the neck, back, chest and shoulders.
Types of acne
1. Mild acne.
2. Moderate acne.
3. Severe Acne.
What causes acne?
There are certain factors that trigger or aggravate an existing case of acne.
3. Nutritional insufficiency
Acne diagnosis and treatment
To diagnose acne, a dermatologist will first examine the skin to make sure you have acne; to rule out other skin conditions that look like acne.
If you have acne, the dermatologist will grade the acne and treat it subjectively.
For the best suitable treatment consult your dermatologist
1. Cleansing the skin with the right type of clenser, optimal times.
2. Moisturizing prevents skin irritation, soothes the skin by slowing the evaporation of water.
3. Protection from sun and environmental damage.
4. Apply acne medication as directed by the dermatologist.
5. Drink plenty of water with a balanced diet and regular exercise.
1. Never pop, Squeeze, or pick acne.
2. Don t use harsh soaps, scrubs, toner, astringent, or masks.
3. Don't wash with washcloths or puffs as they can be abrasive.
4. Avoid itching or scratching on the affected site.
5. Do not use greasy or oil based cosmetics, that may clog the skin pores and trigger breakouts.
6. Do not ignore acne as it may cause permanent scar if left untreated.
Acne diet guidelines
What to eat more and what to avoid?
1. Food with low glycemic index.
2. Food rich in zinc.
3. Food rich in omega fatty-3 fatty acids.
2. Food with high glycemic index.
3. Food rich in iodine.
It is no secret that a diet rich in fruits and vegetables and low in sugars and starch can reduce breakouts.
- Nuts- Nuts are rich plant – based source of omega -3 fatty acids, which are said to reduce inflammation around the sebaceous glands.
- Selenium rich diet- Selenium is a dietary mineral that helps in increasing your antioxidant levels thereby critically preventing blockage of skin pores.
- Vitamin C
* Vitamin C serves as an excellent antioxidant and removes harmful free radicals.
* It also contributes to collagen synthesis.
*It is a form of vitamin A which gets converted into retinol, when needed.
* It balances the collagen levels in skin, protects skin from ultraviolet light damage, which promotes healthy cell growth.
- Foods with water content
* Foods that have a high water content such as cucumber, watermelon, pineapple, tomato and cabbage help in keeping your system free from toxins.
- Acne fighting foods
*omega -3 fatty acids
*foods rich in selenium
*foods rich in vitamin C
*foods rich in vitamin E
*foods high in water content
*foods rich in beta carotene.