No matter how much we try, tanning is inevitable and can lead to ugly sunburns. As already known, the sun’s invisible ultraviolet rays are harmful for our skin and can lead to premature ageing, which can also lead to wrinkles and fine lines. Despite religiously applying sunscreen, our skin is very sensitive and susceptible to harmful UV- A & B rays. These are also known to cause skin cancer and should be avoided at all cost.
Here are some simple methods that can help you to prevent tanning and enable you to flaunt a healthy skin this summer. Keep these points in mind and plan your day in advance before stepping out in the sun. The best way, however, to prevent tanning is to avoid going out between 10.30 am to 4.00 pm; it’s not the most practical solution though.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes: Wear clothes that cover major areas of your skin. This avoids exposure of skin to sun.
- Wear good-quality sunglasses: Sunglasses that offer UV protection should be worn as the area around the eyes is very sensitive to these harmful rays. Constant exposure of eyes to sunlight leads to conditions like cataract and macular degeneration.
- Invest in a good broad-spectrum sunscreen: Before stepping out in the sun, apply a sunscreen of SPF 50 minimum half an hour before stepping out. Apply a generous amount and reapply, if required, after two to three hours.
- Aloe vera gel: Regular application of aloe vera gel keeps your skin cool and prevents tanning and burns.
- Yoghurt and honey scrub: Apply a smooth paste of yoghurt and honey daily before going for a bath. Honey is an excellent remedy for removing tanning and provides a glow to the skin. The yogurt helps cool and hydrate the baked skin.
- Milk cream and saffron: Crush some leaves of saffron in a few spoons of milk to make a paste. Apply this paste on your face and affected area, leave it overnight and wash it the next day. Follow this treatment at least once a week. This remedy not only prevents tanning, but also keeps acne away and makes skin lighter.
- Sandalwood and rosewater packs: Make a pack of 3 tbsp sandalwood powder and rosewater till it's thick enough and apply it on the face and sun exposed areas. Wash it off after 10 minutes. It keeps the skin fresh, hydrated and well-toned. Try to use this at least once a week. It lightens the tanned skin.
- Cabbage leaves: Rub a few cold cabbage leaves on the affected area for 15 minutes.Repeat this twice a week and say goodbye to tans.
So throw away all the harsh chemicals and bleaches and opt for natural and skin-friendly options to avoid tanning.