Diarrhea is one of the most common diseases which anyone can get anytime. In layman language the frequent passage of watery stools is called diarrhea or simply loose stools. This disease mainly occurs during the summer season, but do you know that there are other cases like cancer and ulcers in which there is also diarrhea. Diarrhea if not controlled on time, can lead to severe dehydration which could harm liver, kidneys and other vital organs. Children are more vulnerable to diarrhea as they have a relative weak immune system. So here are some insights on what to do when someone in your family has diarrhea.
What are the symptoms of Diarrhea?
The following are the complaints or symptoms during diarrhea.
- Frequent Watery loose stools.
- Pain in the stomach region
- Associated nausea and vomiting
So what causes the Diarrhea?
There could be many reasons for diarrhea; here are some common causes of diarrhea.
- Infection:Diarrhea could be due to some infection in the intestine as this is the primary cause of diarrhea. Bacteria, viruses infect the intestines, entering the body due to contaminated water and food and causing diarrhea.
- Allergies:Certain foods like eggs, sea food etc, to which your body is allergic to, can cause trouble to your stomach and result in diarrhea.
- Stress:Some Mental factors like Excessive stress or panic can induce stomach disturbance in some people resulting in diarrhea.
- Diseases:Some diseases like ulcers, cancers can also cause diarrhea.Irritation of mucous membrane of the intestines.
What to do when Diarrhea strikes?
- Take very light foods having minimal amount of solids and more liquids, so that the stomach can rest for a while.
- Keep taking liquids to compensate for the loss of water and other precious electrolytes.
- Do not take raw foods.
- Liquids like coconut water, rice water, lemonade, O.R.S should be taken to prevent the electrolyte imbalance.
- Take plenty of organic yogurt which has good bacteria that keeps our intestines healthy.