Microscopic dentistry is the most emerging need of a dentist. Generally, in cosmetic and restorative treatments, it consolidates the use of distinctive microscopes. Such microscopes produce detailed and zoom images of the patient’s mouth, making the treatment easy for a dentist.
Mostly, dentists use microscope in examining the affected site and do preventive check-up. Also it is commonly used in fillings,endodontic treatment, and periodontal treatment and in implant placement.
There are six important features to be considered while choosing a dental microscope:
- OPTICAL QUALITY-A dental microscope helps them to visualize magnified details making the treatment as error- free as possible. Therefore, a good clinician must never compromise concerning the optical components. The high ranking quality with magnificent clarity offers great resolution, larger depth of the site treated and maximum light transmission. A good optical quality is the crucial need while performing a root canal treatment where the detection of caries and tiny ramifications is difficult without a high magnification microscope. Also, the canonical view of color is required for a dentist to differentiate anatomical details, while treating.
- ILLUMINATION-It is considered in combination with optical quality, illumination hold a very important role in the brightness and color of the image making easy to visualize for a dentist. Another factor to be kept in mind is the lifespan of the light source impacting the overall cost of ownership, potential down time and the environment. When compared to Xenon and Halogen, LED has greater potential to last long. The fiber optics may distort by making microscopic adjustments, daily, affecting the light to reach at the treatment site.
- DOCUMENTATION-As the world is advancing and becoming a showbiz attraction, the photographs and videos play significant role in enhancing your practice. Most importantly,a dentist while performing a treatment, live on screen video can help the assistant to make the work easy for the dentist. Stored videos and photographs will make the learning much easier and can be shared online or at seminars. Sometimes the picture record can help built trust between patient and the dentist, it is important to maintain a transparency during operation; successful treatments calls for a good dentist to explain the treatment plan and proceed after patients consent. Data recorded can be saved in SD memory card or can be transferred to the patient file via USB.
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN-Every dentist suffers with back pain. This pain is most commonly due to prolonged hunch position while working on a patient. Sitting for very long with your back bent causes difficulty in treating and consumes time more than required, to finish the treatment. It impacts dentist’s life personally and professionally. Dental microscopes have helped dentist to work with ease maintaining right position. The Ergo Wedge accessory supports position and Ergon- Optic Dent further extends the reach of microscope and provides a greater range of movement by allowing the optic carriers to move smoothly at an angle required to hold ergonomic posture.
- WORKFLOW INTEGRATION-Fast, light weight and reliable positioning combined with quick stabilization,permits effortless workflow. The optimal multi- focal objective with a variable working distance from 200 mm to 300 mm allows the clinician to re-focus levels while treating without disturbing the position in which he had started to treat. This can help a dentist to maintain efficiency and concentration.
- HYGIENE-A good dental practice comprises of high standards of cleaning, is imperative and each piece of equipment must be kept clean before and after the treatment is done. A sleek design with cables routed internally from the optic carrier to the stand, makes the cleaning of microscope easy and avoids accidental damages.There is also an antimicrobial coating over the cable, so as to prevent the transmission of pathogens to the dentist and patients, as well.