How to improve your eating habits ?
You are what you eat, and this rings true for everyone. what you eat impacts your health the most, much more than any other thing. what you eat also depend on your environment and the people you share your life with. however, cultivating healthy eating habits does not require a lot of effort. making small changes to your daily habits and lifestyle is the only way to improve your eating habits permanently. diets only provide temporary help.
Here are some changes that can be made to improve your eating habits:
- Incorporate more fruits, vegetables and whole grains into your diet while eliminating unhealthy foods.
- If you are working or studying away from home, try to pack healthy lunch and snacks for yourself to avoid eating unhealthy food daily.
- Don't eat straight from the packet- use a plate or bowl to control the portion size that you are eating.
- Don't delay or skip meals.
- Cut down your consumption off aerated drinks and sodas.
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water every day. Drink water after waking up and before sleeping. being dehydrated may make you feel like you are hungry, so it is important to stay hydrated.
- Have home-made fruit and vegetable juices.
- Eat 5-6 small healthy meals every 2-3 hours, every day, instead of having a few big ones. this regulates your blood sugar level and your metabolism.
- Don't skip breakfast instead make it more rich with complex carbohydrates and proteins so it can provide you with energy to get through the day. Try to include the following as your morning breakfast, oats porridge , eggs on multi-grain toast or daliya with sprouts.
- Avoid artificial sweeteners in processed foods.
- Eat slowly as it takes 20 minutes for your brain to register if you are full or not. Eating to fast leads to overeating, so chew slowly to digest your food better and control how much you eat.
- Use a smaller plate to control your portion sizes and avoid overeating.
- Know your cravings and do not snack when you are emotional. it is said that you crave crunchy and savory food when you are stressed, frustrated or lonely. figure out what you crave and replace them with healthier alternatives.
- Do not eat mindlessly, concentrate on your food instead of watching TV or playing with your phone to avoid overeating.