Gynecomastia or the enlargement of male breasts is a condition that develops in men due to various varied reasons like hormonal imbalance, genetically inherited, obesity etc. This situation in most cases creates an embarrassing and uncomfortable medical condition that actually affects the mental stability and quality of life. The various research conducted for several years found out that the exercises or diets cannot cure Gynecomastia.
However, later on, it was found that male breast reduction surgery is the cure for Gynecomastia. The surgical procedure is performed in the hands of an expert and skilled cosmetic surgeon under general anaesthesia. After the surgery, it is imperative to abide by the aftercare instructions that your surgeon provides you to achieve the best and desired results with a speedy recovery.
The recovery time required for Gynecomastia surgery is 4 to 6 weeks, obviously depending on the recovery pace and your health condition. Surgeons usually recommend the first two or three days of total rest so that the healing process does not get disrupted. Immediately after the surgery, you might face some uneasiness, pain, tightness or tenderness in the operated area. But gradually after a week or so, these will go away. You might have to visit your surgeon to remove the stitches after a week.
However, you have to follow the instructions as suggested by your surgeon to gain a healthy speedy recovery and to avoid complications.
- Diet- Immediately after the surgery the patients are recommended to take clear fluids and then gradually switching to solid diets. It has to be made sure that the patient takes a regular meal with plenty of water content in it. You can add fruit juice, soft drinks to prevent dehydration. Alcohol must be strictly prohibited for 72 hours before and after the surgery. Avoid Smoking and Alcohol.
- Activities- The more rest, the better will be your surgical recovery. In the first twenty-four hours post surgery, it is recommended for not doing any strenuous activity like driving or operating the heavy machinery. Later on from the second day, you must take brisk walks that can help you in quick recovery. You do not have to stay in the bed the whole time. On the second day or third, you can drive and engage yourself in moderate activities but never any strenuous activity like gym, aerobics, running or swimming. You have to keep increasing your daily activities day by day gradually without going beyond your tolerance level. However, people normally go back to their office after 2 or 3 days.
- Compression garment- During the recovery period the most highly recommended thing is wearing a compression garment. Wearing this will help reduce the swelling and bruising and will improve the aesthetic outcome. The compression garment is to be worn twenty-four hours for the first week post surgery. In the second week, reduce it to 18 hours a day. The cleanliness and hygiene of the compression garment must be maintained properly to avoid infection. Wash off the garment in cold water and dry it. After three weeks you can replace your compression garment with any comfortable wear.
- Medication- During the entire recovery period do not take medicines like aspirin, ibuprofen. These might interfere with the blood clotting system and will increase the chances of rising complications. However, you can take a daily dose of multivitamin or vitamin E tablets.
- Be careful- You have to be very careful about taking already prescribed medicines. You are supposed to start them after two days or 48 hours of the surgery. You should also stop drinking alcohol and smoking before and after three days of the surgery. Activities like this will reduce the blood flow and start creating complications.
Finally, maintain a healthy and hygienic lifestyle and keep cleaning your incisions with clean water daily. Apply antibiotic ointments and cover them with a new dressing is required. Take care of yourself and be safe!