PCOS-Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome or POCD-Polycystic Ovarian Disease means presence of tiny water filled balloons on the ovaries. Ovaries have developing follicles in women from puberty to menopause. A baby girl is borne with a numbers of them but they start maturing at puberty, few per cycle. Not every egg she is carrying gets ripe in each cycle & this is the way the capability of reproducing is protected in a woman.
Few follicles develop & rupture per cycle, egg is released which travels towards uterus for implantation. Uterus has made arrangements to receive the mature egg for conception. In case no conception takes place, the lining is shed for 5 days in the form of periods.
The size of follicles in Indian women is about 20 mm or 2 cms but some women may do have a size larger than this but it is never more than 2.5 cms.
What is a Cyst?
Cyst is a balloon with clear water like transparent substance.
If Cysts are present in ovaries , it is a disease or a Lifestyle Disorder?
Cyst in ovaries can be a big follicle that did not rupture on day 14- Ovulation time or it can be due to other reasons not known to us, but the affected woman gets diagnosed by an Ultrasound.
She has symptoms of irregular periods, delayed cycles with less blood and obesity, acne on face, black patches here and there, hair loss, hirsutism (hair on face), risk of getting type 2 diabetes and heart disease, thyroid disease being on the low side and infertility / and if she conceives risk of a complicated pregnancy with high BP, swellings and pre eclamptic changes.
Her blood levels are high for
- Testosterone hormone
- Follicle stimulating hormone
- Fasting blood sugar is high but her
- HDL-the good cholesterol is low
- CRP-C reactive protein is high-it is an indicator of inflammation and infection Anywhere in the body.
Doctors usually prescribe a 21 day course of low hormone oral contraceptive pills, even to young girls who do not need it to prevent conception. Metformin medicine given to Type 2 Diabetics is also prescribed.
But OCs / Hormone therapy does carry side effects like making periods more irregular than before, break through bleeding, weight gain, nausea, mood swings among others.
PCOS can also be considered a lifestyle disorder:
Correct it by modifying lifestyle by
- Reduce the weight by taking no sugar, minimal salt, no bad fats like burgers, pizzas and street food, packed food rich in salt and fats as salt is a preservative and fats add to the taste.
- Do yoga and meditation
- Reduce stress but do enjoy the fruitful result oriented stress as it boosts the good cholesterol,
- Exercise regularly but according to constitution and tolerance.
- Eat as much as possible-every seasonalfruits and vegetables, at least 5 types with 5 different colours.
- Even borderline low thyroid becomes normal without giving extra thyroid hormones as tablets (eltroxin has lots of side effects like palpitations and high end personality who wants to be always on the go!)
- Take a glass of warm water with juice oflemon + a spoon of honey added to it, every day in the morning on emptystomach. This helps to reduce weight, bring down levels of blood sugar andcholesterol.
- Apple cider vinegar if taken with juice/water /honey helps also.
- Treat PCOD minus hormones & sugar lowering medicine metformin