Green Banana Pasta is Loved by Celiac & Non-Celiac Individuals Alike
Anyone would fall in love with a steamy bowl of traditional wheat pasta. Such a delicious dish is off limits for people with celiac disease as these individuals are allergic to gluten, a protein found in wheat, rye and barley. But the good news is that,gluten-free pasta is under research and the most surprising part is that, the source for this healthy and tasty pasta is the green bananas.
Distinguished journal studies claim green banana flour (containing healthy bioactive compounds) to be free of extra fat and calories as present in some other gluten-free pasta alternatives. Celiac and non-celiac testers were served gluten-free pasta (made from green banana flour and egg whites) and gluten-containing pasta (made from whole-wheat flour and whole eggs). Researchers claim that people from both categories fell in love with the green banana pasta, which is a positive sign.
Why Should You Eat Pasta Made from Green Bananas?
Gluten-free pasta is generally made using brown rice or quinoa and sometimes contain more fat and calories than the traditional wheat pasta as fat is added to compensate for the absence of gluten, which is responsible for luring individuals with its tempting texture.
The reasons for choosing green bananas as the main ingredient for pasta includes:·
- Bananas have the characteristics of elasticity and firmness and are a nutritious food option.
- Contains 75% resistant starch, a complex carbohydrate, which helps to promote the growth of healthy bacteria in the large intestine.
- Phenolic acid, important for intestine health, eye heath and heart health, is available in green bananas.
- Pastas made from green bananas (83 calories) help to save some calories when compared to gluten-free pasta made from rice flour and quinoa (135 calories) per 100-gram portion.
On the Score Scale
Any food product must taste good to be able to capture the market. This is applicable even to the healthiest food product. When celiac-testers were asked to grade green banana pasta on a score of one to nine for its flavor, aroma, texture and overall quality, the dish scored grades higher than a six on the scale proving that this food item has a warm response among celiac testers. The positive fact is that, green banana pasta was the favorite of non-celiac testers too.
Gluten-free Diet Can Sometimes Be Expensive
If you compare the purchase cost of gluten-free and gluten-containing pasta variations, you will realize that following a gluten-free diet can be expensive. But, green bananas are many-a-times discarded before they reach the market and using this under-used produce for pasta flour can give you a lower-cost alternative for consumers.
- The higher water absorption property of green bananas gives you a greater yield after cooking.
- A small amount of dried pasta can deliver a large serving of cooked pasta.
- As celiac and non-celiac individuals are impressed with green banana pasta, the cost of preparing two meals (gluten-free and regular meals) is cut down to a single shared meal.