- Pain and inflammation of gums around the wisdom tooth is called, PERICORONITIS.
Dentist, Dentist could you say,If I should visit you today ?
You must ! If you answer 'yes' to the points written, this way.........
- Wisdom tooth is partially erupted/ tilted/ not on the same level as the adjacent teeth.
- Inability to chew on the side that is affected.
- Overlying Operculum- If the gum around the wisdom tooth is red, swollen, infected with pus, and tender on touch.
- Trismus- difficulty to open your mouth, wide.
- Sometimes -swelling is seen over the middle third of the face, associated with mild fever and dullness.
WHY AM I NOT PAIN FREE ?
The reasons my dear, are for you to see :
- Poor oral hygiene : Improper brushing and food lodgement leading to gum infection.
- Angle in which the wisdom tooth is erupting.
- Over erupted Upper teeth, that traumatize the cheek and gums, while chewing.
Treat me right,
Until my pain is out of sight !!
- The treatment varies for every patient depending on severity, cause of problem, radiographic (x ray) examination.
- Infection and pain is first treated using antibiotics and analgesics(pain killers), and a detailed examination is done before a confirmatory treatment is given.
- Painless - If the problem is an over grown gum- it is cut surgically or using a laser.
- A mouth wash that contains -Cholrohexidine can be used twice daily for 15 days, even 4 rinses with warm water with a pinch of salt added to it can help cleanse your mouth.
- Over the counter mild analgesic (Paracetomol - 500mg for adults) can be taken twice a day, for not more than three days, if the pain is severe and you are unable to schedule an appointment with the dentist due to unforseen emergencies.
- Though the above remedy might bring you temporary relief for a day or two, it is compulsory that you schedule your appointment at the earliest with the dentist and undergo the treatment advised to completely eliminate the problem.
Wishing you a hassle free smile, for times ahead.
Siri Dental Hospital offers all dental services. Visit us as www.Siridentalhospital.com