What to do with braces on the first week?
- Eat soft food for first few days
- Use warm saline to rinse
- take analgesic if required
- put patient relief wax over any problem areas
Do's with braces:
1. Brush teeth extra carefully
2. Use mouth rinse
3. Think before you eat:
- Avoid hard, sticky, sweets like toffies, chickie, laddoo
- Avoid crunchy foods such as popcorn, nachos
- Don't bite on foodstuffs like corn, whole apple and bone piece
4. Drink smart:
- Soft drink
- Energy drink
- Favoured milk drink
5. Manage discomfort
6. Report breakage as soon as possible.
Don't eat with braces:
3. Hard taco shells
4. Chewing gum
5. Hard and sticky candy
6. Hard cookies
7. Sticky and hard chocolate
How to do brush with braces:
- Rinse your mouth out with water first to get some of the loose food particles out of your mouth.
- Rinse your toothbrush with hot water to clear any food particles
- Place your toothbrush at 45-degree angles of the gums
- Gently move the brush back and for them in the short strokes, be sure to brush between the wiring and the teeth, you also need to brush outer, inner and chewing surfaces of the teeth
- Brush your teeth thoroughly for at least two-three minutes
- Brush your tongue to remove bacteria and keep your breath fresh
Why use mouthwash:
- Removes germs
- Protect against germ build up
- Provides healthier gums
- Help to prevent cavities
- Gives protection against germs and plaque
- Gives fresh breath
How to use mouthwash
- Watch the clock
- Mouthwash should be used daily twice a day after brushing your teeth for your complete oral hygiene.
- 20 ml of the solution is enough, this is equal to 3/4 of the cap.
- Don't dilute the product. It is ready to use. Rinse around your mouth for 30 seconds and then spit out.
- If the taste of product takes you to surprise, start using it gradually
- For ex-start by rinsing for 10 seconds. For first few days and then increase to 20 seconds. When you have started to get used it and then finally increase to 30 seconds.
DR PRIYANKA SAOKAR NAVALE, ORTHODONTIST.
DECCAN DENTAL CLINIC