Good oral care begins when children are babies.You should clean your baby’s mouth after each feeding and spit up and for sure at least twice a day.This is to prevent fungal infection called candidiasis or thrush.
NEEDS OF CLEANING BABY’S MOUTH
To keep your baby’s mouth clean.
To get your baby accustomed to having a clean mouth.
To help your baby learn to brush and be accustomed to brushing when child grows up.
TIMING OF CLEANING BABY’S MOUTH
Whether you are breastfeeding or using any other formulae like bottle-feeding, you should clean your child’s mouth after each feeding or at least two times a day.
STEPS OF CLEANING BABY’S MOUTH UNDER 1 MONTH OF AGE
1. Prepare a piece of gauze/cotton/cloth & glass of drinking water
2. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap
3. Wrap the gauze/cotton/cloth around your fingers and damp it with water
4. Gently put your finger inside your baby’s mouth, wipe the upper & then lower gum pad once
METHOD OF CLEANING AFTER APPEARANCE OF FIRST TOOTH TO 1 YEAR OF AGE
Following the eruption of first tooth parents can start brushing their child’s teeth with a soft infant tooth brush and drinking water.It is a good time to introduce a finger brush with soft nylon bristles.
- Massage gums to stimulate and soothe tooth eruption.
- Once the few teeth have erupted,you may begin use of a toddler toothbrush(after 1 year) in addition to swabbing.
- You will need to brush the tongue,don’t forget to floss.
Do not put your infant or child to bed with a bottle of milk, formula, juice as other product that contain sugar. The sugar and acid in this liquids causes tooth decay.Expert recommend that your child’s visit to dentist start within 6 months after first teeth appear or at 12 months of age whichever comes first.