Mentalization (Let’s understand our Minds)
What is Mentalization? Our Ability to understand & experience the mental state of oneself or others that underlies overt behavior. You mentalize in these DIMENSIONS
- Automatic/controlled mentalizing
- Mentalizing the self/others
- Mentalizing with regards to internal/external features
- Cognitive/affective mentalizing
Forms of NonMenatizing - Psychic Equivalent (If your Thoughts & feelings become too real to a point where it is extremely difficult to entertain possible alternatives). Teleological (ModeYour mind recognizes & believe only if the outcome are physically observable) Pretend Mode (Your Thoughts & feelings become severed from reality)
Mentalizing Based Treatment. What would a psychiatrist do!
2) Classification & Exploration Affects and affect Identification
3)Presenting Alternative Perspective
4) Mentalizing the Relationship
You may be a Borderline personality Disorder!! Do you predominantly mentalize?
1) Mentalizing more to Automatic thoughts & emotions
2) Hyper mentalizing in relation to self
3) Mentalizing more to external Indicators
4) More of Affective Mentalizing