Thandai is a refreshing milk beverage specifically served during Holi festivities. Even consumed during the summers in across India, thandai makes you feel cooler and serves as an instant energizer in the scorching summer heat. The ingredients present in the thandai even have a few health benefits.So here are the benefits as you plan to down glasses of thandai during Holi:-
1.Fennel SeedsKnown for antioxidants, anti-flatulance, and cooling properties.Read more about antioxidant rich foods.
2. PeppercornIt is considered the king of spices. It has medicinal properties that prevent the formation of intestinal gas, stimulate the production of hydrochloric acid in the stomach which helps in digestion. Peppercorn also promotes sweating and urination for removing waste from our body.
3. Watermelon seedsWatermelon seeds are a good source of energy, protein, and iron. Watermelon seeds also contain lycopene which is good for male infertility.
4. Rose petalsRose petals are rich in vitamin C,D,K and E and other organic acids like malic acid, citric acid and pectin which help in building a strong immune system, strengthening the digestive system and detoxifying the urinary tract and kidneys.
5. AlmondsAlmonds are loaded with healthy fats. They are also rich in Vitamin E. They are good for the brain and heart as they have cholesterol regulating effects.
6. Milk Milk is known as the best source of calcium and protein for vegetarians. It is also a rich source of micro nutrients like zinc, phosphorus, and iron. Cold milk is known to be an antacid and has cooling effects on the body.
7. Poppy seedsPoppy seeds contain minerals like iodine, manganese, zinc, magnesium and copper. They also contain thiamine and riboflavin as well as B vitamins. The presence of linoleic acid in poppy seeds protects the body from heart attacks and other heart disorders.
8. Pumpkin SeedsHigh in Omega 3 fatty acids and the heart-healing mineral-magnesium, this is also Nature’s natural relaxant.
9. SaffronSaffron has many therapeutic applications in many traditional medicines as antiseptic, antidepressant, antioxidant, digestive, anti-convulsant.
10. BhangBhang give relieves from stress and anxiety. It is used as intoxicant and is also used for the treatment of common ailments like vomiting,nausea,fever,sunstroke etc.Thandai gives instant relief to the exhausted body and mind and provides a shot of energy. It also helps to cope with problems related to acidity and constipation. It even enhances appetite.But along with the benefits, there are few harmful effects of thandai, considering the way it is prepared for mass consumption during holi and other occasions. You should keep these factors in mind and moderate it's consumption.
So here are the harmful effects-
1. Sugar The sugar content of thandai is very high, so not only will it spike your blood sugar levels, it can also become an obstacle in weight reduction.
2. Full-fat milk Milk used in thandai is full-fat milk, which may increase the cholesterol and saturated fat levels in your blood and increase the risk of heart disease, other than hindering your weight loss.
3. BhangIf bhang is consumed in excess, it increases your heart rate which causes psychosis and high blood pressure, apart from slowing of the metabolic rate. It is difficult to moderate bhang consumption as the onset of it's intoxicating effects takes some time, by which time you might have consumed more than your body can handle. So, be cautious while having bhang in thandai. There isn’t any need to completely avoid thandai, since not having it would leave your holi incomplete. But have it in moderation and not much harm will be done. If you follow a good exercise and diet routine regularly, one or two glasses of thandai will not make much of a difference.