Irritable bowel syndrome is more common in the age of 20-45 years.
• Psychological factors – stress, anxiety.
• Specific food intolerance – wheat (gluten), lactose etc.
• Abuse of laxatives.
• Post gastroenteritis.
SIGN AND SYMPTOMS:
• Abdominal pain.
• Spasmodic, explosive watery diarrhea.
• Frequent urge to defecate.
• Worse in morning and after breakfast.
• Incomplete defecation with mucus in stools.
• Feeling of bloatedness.
• Inability to finish meals.
• Slight weight loss.
• Occasionally backache, frequent urination and urgency in males.
• In acute phase of disease rest and take only liquids- water with salt and sugar, fruit juices- water melon, etc, start dioralyte in case of severe diarrhea.
• Later start with semi solid, light and bland diet – porridge, soups, fruit juices etc.
• Add a pinch of turmeric to food, it has anti inflammatory properties and its action is seen more in the colon.
• Try to consume more of antioxidants (vitamin A, E, C, Selenium etc.)– Most fruits and vegetables contain bioflavanoids, which is a good antioxidant.
• Increase fiber intake in your diet – whole grains, bran, oat, green leafy vegetables, peas, beans, potatoes, raw vegetables, salads, dried fruits and fresh fruits.
• Avoid intake of milk and milk products.
• Increase intake of iron – boiled eggs, jaggery, beet roots, green leafy vegetables, and nuts – Brazil nuts and almonds, dried fruits, dates etc.
• Increase intake of vitamins and minerals – most vitamins and minerals are present in vegetables and fruits so try to consume vegetarian food more.
• Limit fried, fatty and non - vegetarian food.
• Avoid refined sugars, tea, coffee and aerated drinks.
• Avoid food that you are allergic to.
Dr Mrs Neeraj Gupta
Gupta Computerised Homeopathic Clinic