Many people find it difficult to overcome their chocolate cravings. Here are some ways to control your cravings:
- Drink plenty of water: One of the major issues that cause chocolate craving is dehydration. Drink plenty of water to avoid cravings for chocolate. When your body needs water, you misinterpret it as hunger and start eating. So, the next time you have a food craving, go for a glass of water.
- Include magnesium in your diet: Craving for chocolate can be an indicator of magnesium deficiency in your body. Include green leafy vegetables, nuts and seeds, fish, whole grains, dairy products, etc in your daily diet to balance magnesium levels in your body.
- Don’t skip meals: Long gaps between meals or skipping meals, could lead to chocolate cravings. Going without food for a long time can disturb your body’s blood sugar level, leading to sugar cravings. So follow a healthy and balanced diet to avoid chocolate cravings.
- Physical Activity: Lack of physical activity can also lead to cravings for chocolate. Include a minimum of 30 minutes of intense physical activity in your daily routine to keep sweet cravings at bay. Exercise helps in balancing the body’s hormonal level and releases endorphins, also known as the ‘happy hormone’. This in turn even helps in managing stress levels.
- Replace milk chocolates with dark chocolates: Dark chocolate contains a high content of antioxidants and has many health benefits over milk chocolate. If you’d like to control your chocolate cravings, then go for at least 80% dark chocolate. However, most chocolates are packed with calories and fat, so always keep a check on amount you are consuming.
The next time when you crave any chocolates, keep the above in mind.