Weight loss is a big challenge for everyone and many people think that dieting is the best way to do that. But self dieting without consulting a dietician can be very dangerous. Here are few harmful effects of self dieting:
- When you take few calories, body begins to conserve calories to be able to continue necessary functions. This results in a decrease in your metabolism. When your metabolism decreases and you go back to eating normally and more likely to gain more weight than what you lost.
- Starvation diets cause a high loss in muscle mass and water weight from dehydration.
- A long-term starvation diet can result in loss of menstrual cycle for woman, hair loss, osteoporosis and many other physical effects related to specific nutrient deficiencies.
- Carbohydrate intake is very important to our body. But in self diet we often cannot make difference between good and bad carbohydrates and end up taking less carbohydrate than needed which will make you feel out of energy and week.
- The right amount of fibre is very necessary for the body for proper bowel movement. Fibre helps you in reducing cholesterol in the body and lacking fibre in your body due to self dieting can lead to constipation.