Dentistry does not always have to be serious, and there are a lot of interesting things that many patients do know about dentistry. Read below for the latest dental fun facts and interesting myths about dentistry.
Dental Fun Facts
- A West Virginia inmate went down in history in 1994 for using the most unique prison escape method: braided dental floss! He used this create a rope and successfully escaped from prison.
- Americans spend over 100 million dollars on hair care products and only 2 million on dental care products a year.
- Your teeth are as unique as your fingerprints!
- The average person will spend about 38 and a half days brushing their teeth over the course of a lifetime.
- A third of the American population has untreated tooth decay! Please visit a dentist!
- Blue toothbrushes are sold more often than red ones.
- It take 5 to 53 facial muscles for you to smile.
- Flossing once a day can increase your life expectancy by 6 years!
- An elephant tooth weighs about 6-9 pounds.
- Your smile is the first facial feature noticed by half of the people you come in contact with daily.
Interesting Myths about Dentistry
- Myth: Contrary to what many think, George Washington’s teeth were not made of wood. Fact: Instead, they were made of mixtures of ivory, lead and gold while also having parts of donkey, human and hippopotamus teeth!
- Myth: Cavities in baby teeth don’t matter because they will fall out anyway. Fact: Baby teeth need to be cared for just like permanent teeth.
- Myth: Sugar is the biggest cause for cavities. Fact: Sugar begins attacking the tooth but it is bacteria and acid that causes the cavity.