Fluoride is a natural mineral that builds teeth and prevents cavities. It supports healthy tooth enamel and fights the bacteria that harm teeth. Fluoride is helpful if you're at high risk of developing dental cavities or caries. It is an preventive treatment.
Q) When fluoride application is recommended?
- Fluoride application is recommended in both adult and children.
- It should be done every 3, 6 or 12 months, depending on your teeth condition.
The following can increase your risk of cavities:
- Excessive carbohydrate intake
- Excessive drug/ alcohol
- Eating disorder
- Poor diet
- Dry mouth
- Weak enamel
Q) What happens during professional fluoride treatment?
- Dentist provide professional fluoride treatment in the form of a high concentrated rinse, foam, gel or varnish. The treatment may be applied by a brush, tray or mouthwash.
- These treatment have much more fluoride then your regular toothpaste. They only take a few minutes to apply.
Q) What Precautions to be taken after fluoride application?
- Eat or drink after 1 hour.
- Eat soft, non- abrasive diet for rest of the day.
- Not to brush or floss until the next morning.