Hey!! watch out Navratra's are ahead.
As navratra's are here and everyone is prepared for the festivities ahead. If you are undertaking an extending fast one must take special care.
Here are some tips which one can follow:
- Keep yourself hydrated by choosing coconut water/green tea/lemon water/water/fruit shakes/fruit yogurt/vegetable juices.
- Eat at every regular interval of time.
- One should take fruit in breakfast as it will energize your body.
- Avoid oily and fried food like fried potato/ fried tikki/ puri's etc. as it will lead to weight gain.
- Try to adapt baked/ grilled food like baked potato/ grilled stuffed potato with green chutney.
- Include sago(sabudana) khichdi with lots of veggies as it will give you feeling of fullness and also provide you fiber.
- Include sabudana kheer with low-fat milk as a sweet option or prashad. One can add dry fruit to it.
- At the time of snacking one can have roasted makhana with green tea or tea or baked chips with green tea.
- In dinner, one can have fruit shake with chia seeds/ veg. samakia with salads/ roasted or baked paneer with veggies.
Fasting doesn't mean one have to starve for the whole day and eat more food at one time which is known as feasting. When we overeat our stomach stretches to accommodate extra food. we gulp more food at a time which also lead to heartburn or acid reflux. This occurs due to fasting for the whole day and feasting at a time.
It is better to chew food well and eat slowly as it takes 20 minutes for the stomach to signal the brain when we are full. Overeating also lead to bloating/ acidity/ heartburn/ abdominal cramps etc.
Hence, one should fast in a healthy manner.
SAMPLE MENU FOR THE UPCOMING NAVRATRA'S:
- Breakfast: Fruit with milk/ fruit shake with 5 to 6 almonds.
- Mid-morning: Lemon water with fruit /coconut water with fruit/ green tea with fruit.
- Lunch: Grilled sabudana vada with green chutney/ Buckwheat flour (kuttu atta) chapati with vegetable and salad and ghiya raita/ Baked sabudana tikki with vegetable and curd/ Vegetable samakia rice with curd and salad
- After Lunch: Green tea
- Evening: Green tea/ tea with baked chips/ Roasted makhana
- Dinner: Paneer tikka/ milk with fruit/ A bowl of veggies and salad/ Petha+ ghiya soup with vegetable/ Apple soya shake with chia seeds/ Curd+fruit smoothie.