The advantage of having oily skin is that you won’t be getting premature wrinkles but controlling the oil can sometimes be a problem. Here are 9 quick tips to keep your skin oil-free throughout the day.
The summer months are harsh on all skin types, but oily skin is more prone to pimples and break-outs. Its appearance becomes greasier making it look dull and lifeless.
Summer time should be about fun in the sun, beach holidays and warm lazy brunches. Instead, you worry about blemishes and spots caused by sun damage, dust and grime that your oily skin attracts. Instead of damage control at a later date, take charge & learn how to keep your skin oil free with these simple preventive measures.
With a few easy changes to your oily skin care routine, you can avoid hot weather-related side effects on your skin:
1. Avoid the sun. Enjoy early morning beach activities and in the evening. The summer sun is your skin’s enemy! Not only does being outdoors in the sun hugely increase oil secretion, but you also end up exposing yourself to the harmful effects of UV rays. During the hours of 10 AM – 3 PM, the sun is at its strongest and most damaging, so have fun filled indoor activities with friends.
2. Look for a gentle cleanser. Always test your cleanser before you buy and pick one that removes excessive oil without over drying the skin.
3. Wash your face correctly. Washing oily skin is tricky business as too little can spell disaster with an onslaught of spots while too much can strip your skin of its natural oils. Your T-zone most likely needs frequent washing while your cheeks tend to dry up, so being selective is key. Blotting papers can help you soak up the excess oil in problem areas without over stripping the moisture.
4. Invest in a good sunscreen lotion. A water based matte sunscreen is a good choice for oily skin as it helps keep your face shine free and gives you the protection you need. Look for at least SPF 30++ for the best sunscreen effect!
5. Go minimal on makeup. While it may feel like you can’t live without your foundation, in summers its best to keep it natural. Foundation and compact powders not only make you look older, but also clog pores. Even the best of foundations for oily skin will get runny when you perspire and adding extra products will only make your skin more prone to pimples. Instead, stick to tinted moisturizers or concealers and use water-based ones.
6. Hydrate well. Drink plenty of water and juices so you are hydrated internally. Make sure you moisturise often with a water-based product to keep your skin supple. Whatever the formula, make sure your sunscreen and moisturiser contains oil-reducing salicylic or glycolicacid
7. Watch what you eat. Vitamin A rich vegetables like carrots, spinach and so on help slow oil production. Go easy on the alcohol, spicy and fried food as they all dilate blood vessels and compound your oily skin woes. If you are tempted, limit yourself to one drink a night,and eat spicy foods no more than once a week.
8. Give your skin some TLC. The best thing about summer skin care are all the fragrant fruity facials. Do your skin a favor and exfoliate with a delicious natural scrub once a week. Make a cooling, oil-absorbing mask and pamper your skin silly.
9. You can also try making a homemade scrub from honey and sugar. This scrub helps exfoliate skin naturally & moisturizes it as well. Be advised not to use any scrub on your face often, as it may dry out your face skin which is not a good thing.