ATOPIC DERMATITS: Dermatitis means inflammation of skin
ECZEMA: Very common skin problem in children. Atopic dermatits is a most common form of Eczema.
- Atopic dermatitis usually develops in early childhood and is more common in people who have a family history of the condition.The main symptom is a rash that typically appears on the arms and behind the knees, but can also appear anywhere.
- It usually begins in Infants (less than 1 year old child).
- It improves as the child grows older and resolves by the time child starts going to school or reaches puberty. Some children may develop chronic disease.
- Causes:Sensitive skin which is more easily irritated by sweating, heat , rough clothing and some detergents, soaps etc. Some may have allergies to food, pets, dust mites.
- Symptoms:Red, dry, itchy patches on skin. Itching may be severe and constant; with frequent scratching, skin may develop blisters, oozing, crusting.Affects mainly face, scalp arms, legs.
- Treatments:No Cure , but can be controlled with good skin care
- Bathing: gentle soap, limit time.Topical (Skin)
- Medicines: topical steroids needed in severe cases or during flare up
- Moisturizers: apply moisturizer 30 minutes after you apply any topical medicines. This allows it to seal the medicine. Eg vaseline or any petroleum jelly.
- Anti histamines: anti allergic medicines to decrease itching. It can make child sleepy.
- Environmental Triggers: Avoid food, pets, dust mites that can trigger this conditions.
- Skin Infections: chances of secondary infections are there so your child might need topical antibiotics as well.
- When to call doctor: Mild to moderate cases can be managed at home or with help of your child specialist. But in severe cases or if there is no improvement than you need to consult dermatologist or skin Specialist for best outcome. Feel free to discuss in details regarding condition of child.